There’s nothing like a fresh glass of tomato juice to kick-start your day. Tomatoes are bursting with nutrients and vitamins. Did you know tomatoes contain large amounts of one of the world’s most powerful antioxidants, carotene lycopene? Studies have shown this antioxidant can help prevent and reduce the risk of a variety of different cancers like prostate cancer, breast cancer, and neck and head cancer. There is also evidence that lycopene can protect against degenerative diseases of the brain. So any product derived from tomatoes be it sauce, juice, or soup, are all really good for you.
Using a tomato juicer is one way to get the necessary nutrients into your body. Preparing juices at home is healthier than buying canned vegetables. There are no preservatives and other chemicals in fresh tomatoes, and the taste is so much better. Plus you can make tomato sauce which is just delicious on fresh pasta.
There are several tomato strainers on the market that can get the job done quickly and easily. You can also juice tomatoes with many standard centrifugal and masticating juicers. These machines will also juice other types of fruits and vegetables in addition to just tomatoes. However, if you are serious about making tomato juice and sauce, I would recommend getting a machine that is designed specifically for that purpose. There are a couple of brands that really stand out which I talk about in more detail below. Read on to learn more about the tomato juicers, their pros and cons and how to pick the right one for your home.
Benefits of A Tomato Strainer
- Ease of Preparation: Some people need to drink tomato juice as it is easier to digest than consuming the actual tomato. Using a tomato juicer is a simple and convenient way of making tomato juice. The primary function and purpose of a juicer is to separate the seeds and the pulp from the juice. When using a juicer, you do not need to worry about creating a mess. Simply feed the tomato into the device and all that comes out is the fruit’s juice. The pulp and seeds are typically ejected into another container, separate from the juice.
- Designed Specifically for Tomatoes: You can use a standard centrifugal juicer on tomatoes however it’s best to get a juicer designed specifically for tomatoes. With a tomato juicer you know that you are getting optimal efficiency and the most juice possible from your tomatoes.
- Fresher than Canned Tomatoes: There is no way of telling with certainty what goes inside a can of tomato juice. You can look at the label and see the list of preservatives, but who knows what other chemicals get in there that producers are not required by law to list on the ingredients. You also in many cases have no idea how long the can has been on the shelf before you bought it. When preparing your own tomato juice, you know that the ingredients are fresh and good for your health.
- Better Taste: Fresh squeezed tomato juice or sauce just tastes better than anything out of a can or bottle.
- Size: Although some models are not as big as a food processor, tomato juicers can still take up space in your kitchen. You will need to consider where you will store the device in your home.
- Cleaning: Although tomato juicers can make it more convenient to separate the juice from the pulp and seeds, cleaning up the device is another matter. Cleaning devices that contain several small parts can be trickier. You will also need to find a juicer that is dishwasher-safe. Keep in mind that any food remnants on the tomato juicer can attract microbes and germs. This can contaminate any other juices that you make in the future so you need to be sure the machine stays clean.
What Should You Look For As You Shop?
They are several features that you need to be aware of as you start shopping for the best tomato juicer.
- Manual vs. Electric: There are two types of juicers: manual presses and electric juicers. Manual presses are often clamped or fastened to a level surface such as a table or a counter. Depending on the model, the sliced or whole tomato is fed onto the cup-like container located at the top of the device. A crank is turned which squeezes the juice out of the fruit. Electronic juicers eliminate the need to exert any effort in making the fruit juice as the motor produces the energy needed to squeeze the juices out. Although electronic juicers are more convenient and faster than manual juicers, they are also more expensive. The quality of the juice and the efficiency of extraction don’t really differ that much between the two types of devices.
- Capacity: The number of tomatoes that a tomato juicer can work with can also affect the price. If you are making a few glasses of tomato juice on a daily basis, a manual juicer will suffice. For individuals that are making large amounts of juice on a daily basis, such as in the case of a restaurant, a more durable electric juicer is needed. Keep in mind that juices can only stay fresh for a period of 24 hours. As such, you should only make enough juice to last for a day at the most.
- Features: Choose a tomato strainer that is easy to use and clean. There are many models that boast of a long list of features. However, if you are unable to use these features, such specifications are of no use to you. Some people like a simple machine that just has an on/off switch and one or two speeds at most. Also consider where you will be using the device. For instance, if you live in an apartment with a limited amount of space, find a smaller juicer that does not produce a lot of noise.
- Product Reviews: Do your research and read up on reviews of tomato strainer. This will help you determine which tomato juicer delivers beyond the advertised hype. By checking out reviews from other owners you can see which machines are built to last and which ones are of low quality and should be avoided. You will also get to know other pieces of information such as the specifications and the sales price.
The Best Tomato Strainer
The following models really stand out based on customer reviews and their level of quality and features. Plus I feel that the prices on these machines are fair and that they are a good investment.
Tomato Food Strainer and Sauce Maker By CucinaPro
The CucinaPro is a manual juicer made in the US and it’s perfect for home use or producing small quantities of juice. It uses a suction cup which allows the device to be fastened to a table. The unit can be disassembled completely, making it easier to clean each component. It is also durable and dishwasher-safe.
The ratings on this machine come in very high, 4.1 out of 5 stars on Amazon.com. Users talk about how they can just roll through bushels of tomatoes making juice and sauce. They are impressed with how strong and sturdy the CucinaPro is. Several users have had their machines for many years. Click here to check for the latest prices on the CucinaPro Tomato Juicer Press.
Spremy Electric Tomato Strainer
The body of this electric tomato juicer is made with cast iron while the hopper is manufactured out of stainless steel. The Spremy Tomato juicer is powered by a 1/3 horsepower motor. Owners marvel at its efficiency in going through stacks of tomatoes quickly with minimal waste produced.
Users that previously only had experience with manual juicers really like how much easier this machine is to use. You can read more about this model and get the best price on the Spremy Electric Tomato Strainer by clicking here.
Leave a Reply